Saturday, January 13

Two and a half left feet

I have been conned by a friend of mine to sign up for dance classes at O2, since I owed him quite a bit and I haven't had any kind of exercise of late, I agreed and signed up.
When the guy helping us to sign in our registration forms said we were starting with "Paso doble" form, that was my cue to up and out - I didn't even know that term.
All my kind of dancing has been wild steps involving close resemblances to the jumps taken by chimps and turns executed by a few drunk chickens, and this was way out of my league.
I decided the hell with it, surely not all are good here and entered the class. The instructor took a look at my shoes and said: "Please, not such high heels here. You cannot dance in those" and I tried pacifying him by saying I dance in those at the clubs normally. He just shook his head and asked to me bring something else tomorrow.
To my unfortunate luck, I discovered why he wanted me to wear something else, this dance required me to move more than in the clubs where just a few taps and a bit of a hip wiggle was called dancing..and I don't have two left feet , it felt more like there were more of them to me. My poor partner (Harry) was in jitters because I refused to let him lead me, mucked up the steps and also stopped half-way through when the steps were too ladylike for me to follow, some of them involved "drops" with elegance and I have never been one to fall elegantly!!!
For those who do not know what style the Paso doble is, information is available on these sites:
http://www.learntodance.com/Paso-doble.htm
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paso_Doble.htm
The instructor also informed us that this dance is meant only for the ballroom and not for any other social gatherings, since the probability of me entering a ballroom is one-billionth of a percent, I was wondering what I was doing. The end of the one-hour session found me gasping for breath, a pull on one of my hip muscles and a slight limp thanks to the pain in my calves beginning to niggle at me.
And I have to subject myself to this torture for eleven more classes!!! After this, the gym gets my vote for forms of exercise, my instructors there atleast do not tear at their hair seeing me trying to be ladylike, a notion that I have been informed is a bit more out of my reach than the solar system getting into orbit in a galaxy other than the Milky Way

No comments: