Friday, January 5

City of Joy - First Impressions

I actually made it to the 5:00 AM flight, thankfully I had obtained the boarding pass the previous day and so had ample time to stroll in and board the flight without any hassle.
We reached Calcutta at around 7:15 AM and I waited at the airport for my colleague flying in from Mumbai. He finally made it at around 9:00.
Since our first meeting was at 11:30, we decided to stop for a coffee, the elixir of life for some of us who are not too used to seeing daylight before 7:00.
The surprising thing about Calcutta is that everyone seems to be abed even at 10:00 in the morning. I have been informed that reporting for work before 11:00 AM for Bengalis is a rarity!
We were dropped at a quaint coffee-shop called Flury's at Park Street by our driver who, wonder of wonders, spoke both Hindi and English!
Ratings for Flury's are as follows:
Decor: ♥♥♥
Service : ♥♥♥♥
Food: ♥♥♥
Music/Ambience : ♥♥
Price : ♥♥♥♥♥
Overall rating of Flury's : ♥♥♥

The Cafe Mocha that they serve is pretty good, but my colleague refused to follow my advice and ordered for their Viennese coffee. His facial expressions were worth the early morning flight, his contortions definitely made my day!!
We finished with the first meeting and decided to break for lunch.
Lunch was at Sourav's, which I believe is a place that belongs to Saurav Ganguly, the ex-captain of the Indian cricket team (and who is back on the team for the current South- Africa Series). The food was great as also the decor.
Ratings for Sourav's are as follows:
Decor: ♥♥♥♥♥
Service : ♥♥♥♥
Food: ♥♥♥♥
Music/Ambience : ♥♥♥
Price : ♥♥♥
Overall rating for Sourav's : ♥♥♥♥

After a wonderful lunch, we needed to go in for two meetings and needless to say, I drooped most of the time.
My return flight to Chennai was at 6:10 PM and since it was Indian Airlines, we were pretty cool thinking that it would be delayed.
My colleague had got the news that his return flight to Chennai was delayed by 1 and a half hours. Unfortunately the meeting went on till 5:15 PM and by the time I called the Indian Airlines number, I was informed that my flight was on time and our driver took sadistic pleasure in telling us that the airport was an hour's drive from there.
I did a tele-check in and we reached the airport at around 6:00 PM.
I rushed to the Indian Airlines terminal and was told that we would be boarding so just about managed to get through security check on time and surprise, surprise ...after the boarding announcement, they did not bother to open the gates till 6:30 PM and the flight finally took off at around 7:15 PM. Thank You Indian Airlines for your consistent delays!!
Finally landed at Chennai around 9:15 PM and reached home at 10:00.

No comments: